Friday, January 24, 2014

B is for Baron Samedi (PBP 2014)


So we're taking a large step sideways this week from the topics of runes and the Northern Traditions and dipping our toes into a very different tradition: Vodou. Let me preface this entry by stating the obvious: I am not a trained practitioner of Vodou and do not claim any kind of expert knowledge on this topic whatsoever. My interest in Vodou stems from my deep love of and personal connection with the city of New Orleans, and much of what I have learned about American Vodou comes from my visits to that city and learning about their culture. If any of the following information is incorrect, please accept my humblest apology and feel free to correct me in the comments section below.

Baron Samedi (also Baron Saturday, Baron Samdi, Bawon Samedi, or Bawon Sanmdi) is one of the Loa of Haitian Vodou. The word 'Samedi' means 'Saturday' in French. He is a Loa of the dead, along with His other aspects: Baron Cimetière, Baron La Croix, and Baron Kriminel. He is one of the Guédé family of Loa. In Haitian Vodou, the Guédé (also spelled Gede or Ghede) are the family of Loa that embody the powers of death and fertility. Fete Ghede is on November 2, the Festival of the Dead. All boons granted by the Ghede must be repaid by this date, or is it said that They will take Their vengeance on you.

The Baron is connected to and is sort of a darker aspect of Papa Ghede, who is the father of the Guédé. Papa Ghede is said to be the corpse of the first man who ever died. He is recognized as a short, dark man with a high hat on his head who enjoys smoking cheap cigars and eating apples. He is a psychopomp who waits at the crossroads to take souls into the afterlife. If a child is dying, Papa Ghede is prayed to, because it is believed that He will not take a life before its time, and that He will protect children from death. Like the Baron, Papa Ghede has a very crass sense of humor. He also possesses a divine ability to read others' minds, and the ability to know everything that happens in the worlds of the living and the dead (Source: Wikipedia entry on the Guede)

Back to the Baron. His wife is the Loa Maman Brigitte (yes, She is connected with St. Brigit, who is the protector of crosses and gravestones). He has particular links to magic, ancestor worship and death. The Baron is notorious for his rowdy behavior, swearing continuously and making dirty jokes. He is usually depicted with a top hat, black tuxedo jacket, and dark glasses. Sometimes He will also have cotton plugs in His nostrils, resembling a corpse dressed and prepared for burial in the Haitian style. The Baron is often portrayed as having a skull-like face.


(Veve of Baron Samedi. A veve acts as a "beacon" for the Loa and will serve as a Loa's representation during Vodou rituals.)

In addition to His role as master of the dead, Baron Samedi is also a life-giver. It is said that He can cure any mortal of any disease or wound (if he thinks it is worthwhile to do so). His powers are especially great when it comes to voodoo curses and black magic. Even if someone has been hexed, they will not die if the Baron refuses to dig their grave. He also ensures that all corpses rot in the ground to stop any soul from being brought back as a brainless zombie. His preferred colors are black, white, and purple, and He is said to particularly enjoy offerings of cigarettes, cigars, rum, and black coffee. (Source: Wikipedia entry on Baron Samedi)

Here are some pictures of an altar to the Baron I took while at Voodoo Authentica in New Orleans in October 2013. You can click on them to see more detail/blow them up. By the way, if you ever have the chance to go to NOLA, definitely check out their shop. We found both the energy and the staff to be lovely. My husband and I brought dolls of the Baron and Maman Brigitte back to Pittsburgh with us. They were proudly on display for our Halloween/Samhain/Day of the Dead hootenanny this year (which was appropriately on November 2).




And, just for fun, here's some pictures from the The New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum and of the reputed tomb of Marie Laveau in St. Louis Cemetery #1:





6 comments:

  1. what a great post! I've always been attracted to things Vodou and have no idea why: no ties to New Orleans, deep Native American/Celtic roots and belief system. I suppose it just seems such a rich and colorful tradition. And the loa have such human traits they are easy to relate to and love. Thanks for such detail about the Baron, who has always been one of my personal favorites. I do hope you'll be posting more about other Loa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick question. I was looking for a way to "follow" your blog other than the Google connect thingie. On Wordpress, we have a button at the top we can click to follow and I wish it carried over to BlogSpot. Is there a way to get your blog via email? Or are you part of Networked Blogs? I'll have to check that out. Pagan Blog Project is HUGE and I don't want to miss your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stregajewellry, thank you! What I do when I want to follow a non blogspot blog is there is an option in blogger to just enter the address of the blog I want to follow, and then I get to choose if I want to follow it publicly or privately. My blog address is http://themusingsofhuginnandmuninn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. As far as more posts about the loa/Vodou, we will see where the alphabet takes us! Many of my posts this year are going to be focused on the Elder Futhark, which I am studying right now. But we shall see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like your Papa Ghede is almost word for word the same as Wiki. You might want to cite that.

    Yay for NOLA. I've got some good Hoodoo and related folk magic book references for you if you want it. Not Voudou, but strained from it along with other places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely, BW! :) And good call on the citation, I added in links to the Wiki articles on Papa Ghede and Baron Samedi.

    ReplyDelete