Monday, October 22, 2012

Mead

I have been working on two batches of mead since husband and I are are currently out (well, we found most of one bottle of one of his batches which has mellowed quite a bit. But that's it). Tonight I bottled the Rocky Mountain Red:





I also racked the pumpkin cyser (racking involves siphoning the mead from the fermentation carboy into another container and rinsing out the carboy of all the residue produced, then putting the mead back in the carboy so it can continue fermenting. Like this:




The Rocky Mountain Red needs to age now for at least six months--I prefer closer to a year--before it will be drinkable. Technically it's drinkable now, but it's much better aged. I do think I will sleep good tonight though. A few sips and I am sweating with a fire in my belly. The pumpkin cyser will continue to ferment for awhile before it can be bottled. Now I have a clean carboy and get to decide what to make next. I'm thinking cranberry orange mead, for Yule. Oh yeah.







No comments:

Post a Comment