Tammy Bruce and Tucker Carlson Insult Wicca and Paganism on Fox News
Don't be dicks, reporters at Fox News!
Personally, I am not surprised at all by your ignorance, although I will admit it made me bristle, which was probably your objective, so congratulations are in order. Every time I see or witness something like this, it just reinforces the choices that I have made regarding being private, not public, about my religion and generally not taking the time or energy attempting to explain or defend my beliefs to people like you. Frankly, you're just not worth it, and I choose to use my energy in other ways such as actually working to help people and to make a positive contribution to our world.
However, as someone trained in the field of counseling and psychology, I can't help but wonder what in the world must have happened to you that would make you so insecure that you find the need to publicly degrade and make fun of a minority religion on national television. And since in our great country we have freedom of speech (as well as freedom of religion), I am going to take some time to reflect on some of my thoughts regarding your report.
I wonder what makes you think you have the right or the ability to not have to become educated about what you are reporting about: Journalism Ethics and Standards
Even though Wiccans and Neopagans are, as you repeatedly stress, a minority in this country, there are more of us than you think there are. Familiar with the American Religious Identification Survey? No? Here are some links:
ARIS 2008
Pagans go mainstream
ARIS-USA Today
Wiccans in Uniform?
Wicca and Neopaganism are federally recognized religions in the United States: Is Wicca a Religion? Freedom of religion is a grand thing. However, many of these paths are also legally recognized and protected elsewhere in the world.
By the way, there are 8 generally recognized holidays in the Wheel of the Year, not 20. They are Samhain, Yule, Imbolc, Ostara, Beltane, Litha, Lammas, and Mabon. Some Wiccans, Witches, and Neopagans (those are all different, by the way, though you seem to use the terms interchangeably) also observe the full and new moons, but not all Pagans do. There are many traditions and paths within Neopaganism, just as there are within Christianity.
Speaking of Christianity, I was not raised Catholic, but I am pretty certain that there's several more holidays recognized by the Roman Catholic Church than 8...can you name all of those? No? Here's another link: Complete list of Roman Catholic Holy Days for 2012.
[Does anyone know which religion actually has the most holidays? I don't know the answer to that question, but I'd be interested to find out, because i actually like learning new things that expand my understanding of other people, cultures, and our world.]
I don't really understand why your collective panties are in a wad about U. Missouri's decision to provide information regarding Wiccan and Neopagan holidays for their community, being an institute of higher learning (although you clearly don't support learning or education based on your statements) or allow their students (and hopefully faculty as well) who identify as Wiccan or Neopagan to not have to worry about exams on those days. No one's saying, "We're giving the pagans off for Beltane, but we're going to reschedule final exams for Christmas Day!" Why are you so threatened by that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Like I said yesterday, it's Fox News. Nobody of any consequence or importance pays attention to them. The only people who take Fox News seriously are worthless, uneducated hillbillies and a vocal minority of equally worthless uneducated evangelical nutjobs.
ReplyDeleteNot to dive in to the shallow end of the Fox news is stupid pool I just don't understand HOW they think Wicca has so many holidays when they obviously know so little else about it.
ReplyDeleteI guess Tucker Carlson Tweeted some half-hearted apology after this. But the mindless masses that watch Fox and Friends still have no idea.
There was (obviously) a huge amount of backlash from the Neopagan community. Interesting how he would feel the need to apologize, given how we're not a significant population. :)
ReplyDeleteI know it's Fox, I know they are stupid. I'm still allowed to be annoyed by it. When a mosquito bites you, it's irritating.