Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Yule Rune Project

So, a very dear friend of mine who is also pagan commented to me at a 4th of July picnic this year that he is very interested in learning the runes (he's more into celtic-stuffs, ogham, etc.) and asked for my advice about purchasing a good set. I commented to him that he could buy a commercial set (there's nothing wrong with that, I have a commercial set which I bought when I was like 15 and still use), but that if he would be willing to exercise patience and wanted to save some dollars that I would make him a set of runes for his Yule gift. He appeared very excited about this and agreed that he could wait.

Realizing the other day that it is now November (eep!), I remembered my promise and began contemplating my options for making him a set. After some thought, I decided on getting some wooden discs and burning the runes into them. Due to all the rain/damp weather we've had until very recently, I decided not to gather the wood myself and instead ordered some oak slices off of Etsy from (of all places) a button maker (I didn't want to those commercial, perfectly round craft circles you can get at Michael's, that didn't seem right at all). The set she sold me has exactly 24 pieces. Seems like they were made for this purpose. They should be on their way to me soon. Next, I have to acquire a wood burning tool, which I should be able to get at a craft store. Then I need to practice using the tool so I'm comfortable with it. I will post pictures as this project commences. I'm very excited. I love crafting, but with my life the way it is right now it is hard to find time.

My personal rune set is also burned, but they are made from deer antler instead of wood. I did not make them, but they were handmade by the lovely pagan folks over at Vermorlian (look them up if you're not familiar, they have fantastic goodies for sale).

No comments:

Post a Comment