Thursday, December 1, 2011

December holidays

I can't believe it's already December 1st. The holidays will be upon us before we realize it, and there is so much left to do.

I'm always interested to hear about other people's holiday traditions, so for anyone who might be reading this, I invite you to share yours via a comment below. For us, we celebrate both Yule and Christmas every year. We have baby Jesus and angels and Odin, Thor, and Frigga and a beautiful German blown glass Yule log hanging from our tree. Husband decorates our front porch with lights. I get a real evergreen wreath to hang from our door (we have an artificial tree due to the kittehs liking to climb). We often light candles in the dark of the evening. I bake lots of cookies and other treats. We send cards to friends and family. We always make a trip downtown to see the sights together, and have done so every year we have been a couple. That's one of my favorite traditions. We particularly love the world Santas at PPG place, and the gingerbread houses made by local schools and groups that are put on display.

This year many folks will be receiving handmade gifts and treats, because husband and I have been struggling financially, as many people are in this current economy. He's been very demoralized, because we both really enjoy giving gifts to our friends and family, and it's something that brings us a lot of joy. I assured him that we'll still be able to give something, it just may be much more humble this year than in years past. That's okay. As with so many other things, it is the intent and the spirit of our actions which is important, more so than the actual gift given. One gift I'm giving, which I previously mentioned, is the rune set for my friend. I will begin working on that soon, as the oak slices arrived in the mail and I went to Pat Catan's weekend before last and purchased a wood burning tool. I hope to post pictures soon of that project.

1 comment:

  1. I'm working some new stuff this year with hosting a Solstice dinner which I expect to become a tradition. My kids and their mates are pulled in multiple directions Thanksgiving through the New calendar Year and they fret over fitting everyone in. So this will allow all of us to come together on a day none of the others slot for. Family tradition is "whatever Sunday is most convenient and close to actual event" for birthdays so I am doing the same for Solstice seeing as how it is the Sun's birthday and all. It will simply be dinner, gift exchange, much talking and laughter. Yay!

    We go to the hubster's family for Xmas day dinner. Thanksgiving was done at different one of his sister's house. New Year's Eve varies, but often is with the daughter.

    We put up a cut tree. I have Yule decorations of real and fake greenery, a glass snowman, Santa figurines, and a couple of stuffed animal type things ~ the Grinch and a snowman!

    For inexpensive gift giving - baked goods are awesome if you're looking for either more ideas or looking for something to go with what you already have planned. :-)

    ReplyDelete