Saturday, July 11, 2015

Adventures with CSA: Week 5 (Summer 2015)

This week we got more lettuce (shocking), several yellow squash, a huge bag of garlic scapes, a big bunch of sweet basil, a sprig of fresh oregano, two bulbs of kohlrabi, a bunch of broccoli, and a bunch of kale.

Since we're leaving for the beach for a week tomorrow morning, I grated the squash and put it into freezer bags and stuck it in the freezer. When we get back, I plan to make this: Summer Squash Bread (I doubt that I need to use an entire cup of sugar in this, tho--yikes!)

The scapes and the basil are going to become pesto--I have a huge genovese basil plant in my garden that I can harvest to add to the pesto if needed also.

The kale I am thinking about making into kale chips to snack on during our long car trip tomorrow. My husband will not eat them but I like that kind of thing.

The kohlrabi I will likely pickle: Fridge Pickled Kohlrabi (I have no carrots, but that's okay

The broccoli I will likely steam for supper this evening. Thinking about grilling some chicken thighs and making baked potatoes and broccoli on the side.

Not sure what I will do with the lettuce and the oregano, I may offer them to my best friend who is watching our home and kitties while we are away.

Next week our share is being held, so I will be back for week 7--they are saying we should start seeing tomatoes soon! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment