Saturday, February 1, 2014

C is for Crafting (PBP 2014)


We are now on week 5 of the Pagan Blog Project and have reached the letter C. (And I'm still managing to keep up! Praise the gods!) This week I'm going to talk about an important part of my personal practice, the magic of crafting; of using my hands, energy, and focus to create things. I think this topic is especially appropriate given that it is Imbolc, and Brigid, who is one of the deities honored at this time of the year, is the goddess of inspiration, creativity, and smiths!

I have many friends who are amazing artists. I don't know that I would ever describe myself as one (although at one time in my life I had quite a talent for music which unfortunately was put to the side when I went to college and focused my studies on psychology). I would use the word artisan to describe myself, rather than artist. I see the things I create as being very practical.

What do I craft? Whatever I can. I see myself as a Jack-of-all-trades-variety crafter--expert at none, but I have picked up many things along my journey. I craft mead to honor my Gods, I craft jewelry, I craft clothing items to adorn myself and my beloved ones, I craft tools to aid my various workings, I craft teas, potpourris, balms, lotions, vinegars, and tinctures using herbs for healing. I particularly love crafting delicious meals, especially using items I have grown myself in my garden, to feed and nourish myself and my beloved ones. Some of the activities I have learned and engage in on a regular basis include:

Crochet
Knitting
Wortcunning (herb craft/knowledge)
Chainmaille/Wireworking
Kumihimo (I wove my and my husband's handfasting cord, which I still have in a special box upstairs in our bedroom)
Runecrafting
Brewing (mead--haven't tried my hand at beer yet but it's coming)
Gardening
Cooking and baking

I also love learning new crafts. This morning, when I was waiting for my phone/internet/cable provider to come to restore my service, I pulled out my lucet, which is a very old tool used for cord making that dates back to the time of the Vikings. While I waited, I used some stash yarn from a recent project to weave a cord, which I will be taking to a ritual tomorrow to give as an offering to the Norns.


One craft I have been desperately wanting to learn is spinning. I took a one time class, but there were a lot of students and the teacher seemed to have very little patience for those of us who were struggling with it. Fortunately, in the past few years, I've made the acquaintance of someone who is an amazing spinner, and she has offered to help me learn, which I am excited about.

When I craft, I am focusing my will and intent and putting my energy into the action of creation. When I share my craftwork with my family and friends, I am sharing my energy and intention with them. I see this as the very essence of magic. It is the deepest gift that I can offer them, a piece of my own Self. Because of this I think that these activities can be as sacred and as magical as a ritual. For me, there is no separation.

In closing, I would like to give a shout out to the lovely ladies of Demeter's Garden: Tulip, Magnolia, and Beiv (the aforementioned spinner). I raise my horn to you three: Thank you for making time and space for crafting in our area via 'Crafting the Craft'!

No comments:

Post a Comment