Friday, February 14, 2014

D is for Dagaz (PBP 2014)


We're back to the runes this week! D is for Dagaz, the 23rd rune of the Elder Futhark and 7th rune of Tyr's Aett. Dagaz (from Runes, Alphabet of Mystery: pronounced "thaw-gauze"; voiced th as in "the"; never unvoiced th as in "thick" or d as in "dog") represents new beginnings, daylight, the coming of the dawn, awakening, awareness, receiving the gift of inspiration (the gift of Odin), breakthrough, clarity, transformation, hope/happiness, and the power of growth and change. Pulling Dagaz can indicate that it is a good time to start planning or beginning a new project.

Rune Secrets says this about Dagaz: "Dagaz is the counterpart to the rune Jera. Both refer to time, Jera on an annual cycle and Dagaz on a daily cycle. Both are runes of change – Jera is a rune of gentle change, Dagaz is a rune of bold change, for example, the burst of light at the moment of illumination...Much has been written on the psychology and metaphysics of uniting left and right brain functions. Dagaz holds dominion over this union and is a tool that gives you great potency for present awareness and future growth. It is reminiscent of the lemniscate, the symbol of infinity, and the moebius strip, timelessness and illimitable potential, as well as an overturned hourglass."

3 comments:

  1. Hey there! Just thought I'd drop you a note to let you know I love the name of your blog (and the name of the poster for this entry--I go by Ravenscribe in most places, but Ravensong in others). I've been one of Odin's for about 5 years and a student of the Runes for a little over 1 year. I always love seeing posts about them and thought I'd let you know I enjoyed yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for visiting! Hope you'll come back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didnt know this rune was paried with jera <3

    ReplyDelete