Friday, September 25, 2015

Adventures with CSA: Week 16 (Summer 2015)

This week's share included red lettuce, a bag of arugula, a bunch of curly kale, more beans (YAY!!), white potatoes, a couple onions, a head of garlic, bell peppers (red and yellow), 6 poblano peppers, a bunch of parsley, and a bunch of lemongrass.

I am a huge fan of poblano peppers. I have tried growing them to no avail several times, so I am pumped to have some. Chile Rellenos is one of my most favorite Mexican dishes. I am going to make this: Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Poblanos

For the bell peppers and onion, I think I may make pepper steak. I am going to omit the sugar, and serve it over brown rice.

The beans and garlic I am going to use to make my grandmere's recipe, which is pure comfort for my soul. The beans are par-cooked and then sauteed over low heat with a little EVOO and butter, and LOTS of sliced garlic. The garlic gets all caramelized and the beans brown on the outside...SO good!!!

I may end up steaming and freezing the kale for later, since I just cooked the bunch I got a few weeks ago. I'm thinking it will get used in a nice pot of beef and barley stew this fall. The lemongrass I also may freeze.

I am not a huge fan of arugula, but I may look on Pinterest and see if I can find any good salad recipes that use arugula. I feel guilty not making use of things from the CSA.

No comments:

Post a Comment