Sunday, December 10, 2017

Lights in the darkness

It's been a week. I'm going to focus on the positives:

1. Around Monday, I noticed that I had more energy and was able to focus and sustain my focus more than I have in the past year. And that seems to be sticking around for the time being. For those of you just joining us, I've been struggling with depression for awhile, and one of the most annoying symptoms I had was extreme difficulty focusing, almost bordering on ADHD-like at times. It made many things difficult, including things I generally enjoy, like reading and watching things on television.

2. Tuesday evening my husband and I went downtown for...KRAMPUSNACHT! We actually followed a Krampus into Market Square. He had glowing red eyes. I said, "Hi Krampus!" We watched the band 'Sleigher' whom my husband summarized as, "Christmas GWAR" (a completely accurate description). They did mostly holiday songs, but to the tunes of famous metal songs (like Deck the Halls done to the tune of War Pigs by Black Sabbath). SO. FREAKING. GOOD. I needed the laughs. In a major league way. Saw some friends. It was so good. I can't wait for next year.

3. Friday evening the husband and I went downtown again, this time for our annual visit to see the Santas of the World and gingerbread houses at PPG and the Old World Market in Market Square. That was so fun. I love our tradition so much, I look forward to it every year. We had dinner after and it was just a lovely evening. I love my husband.

4. Saturday my friend and former work partner was in town so after getting my teeth cleaned I met her for lunch at Spice Island Teahouse in Oakland and then we went to the Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History. Great afternoon. I had the thai basil fried rice and this amazing cocktail entitled the Skeleton Key with ginger beer, elderflower liqueur, Agostura's bitters, bourbon. It was so good.

5. This morning I had breakfast with a dear friend and covener, and then discovered an alternate store to do my mom's grocery shopping at that is going to save me both time and frustration, as the store closest to her is a fucking nightmare. So grateful to be in and out in 30 minutes. If I had gone to her store it would have taken me 3x as long.

No comments:

Post a Comment