It's New Year's Eve and I am curled up at home with a cup of steaming tea in my fleeciest pajamas and bunches of candles (and the soon to be dismantled tree) lit. My husband has been ill with a nasty cold over the past several days. I myself have been fighting off a sinus infection which I seem to currently have the upper hand against thanks to the medicine of some herbal friends (elderberry, rose hips, astragalus, echinacea, and ginger root). We had wanted to spend the evening at his sister's, where we usually go for New Year's, but given that his symptoms have not improved much, we decided it would probably be best for us to stay home.
It's been quite cold the last few days...today when I woke up it was 1 degree outside, with a wind chill of -4. Yesterday I had to brave the elements to run some necessary errands. Just before I left, I got a notice that one of the books I had requested from the local library was in...'How to Hygge: The Nordic Secrets to a Happy Life". So I stopped and picked it up while I was out. Later, after I was home and done with chores, I glanced it over. It looks like a really good read, though I realized as I skimmed the chapters that it very much reflects the lifestyle that I was raised with (minus the bit about engaging in sports). I don't know when my life became so complicated, but I think in 2018 I'm going to really work towards simplifying things so I can focus on what is important and what truly brings me joy.
Anyway, I think I'll leave this with a link to a blog I very much enjoyed and one of my favorite quotes from Neil Gaiman. I'm going to color and drink tea.
Happy Herbal New Year 2018
"May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself."
Happy New Year to all you fine folks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment